|This electronic flyer highlights our capabilities
and activities in the Fire Technology Department .
Please sign our guestbook.
For additional information,
Dr. Matthew Blais,
Southwest Research Institute.
A world-renowned center of excellence for fire
research, testing and product certification
SwRI® has provided an extensive range of fire research,
testing and related services since 1949.
- Ignition and flame spread testing of facades:
NFPA 268, NFPA 285, etc.
- Fire testing of plastic fuel tanks for
automobiles: ECE R34 Annex 5
- Fire testing of plastic pipes: IMO A.753
- Furnace testing according to various domestic
and international standards: ASTM E 119, IMO A.754, ISO 834, NFPA 415, UL
- Pool fire testing of nuclear shipping
containers: 10 CFR 71
- 25-ft and 50-ft corner tests: FM4880
IMO A.754 fire resistance test
of glass window/door assembly
- Combustibility tests: ASTM E 136, ISO 1182,
ISO 1716, NFPA 259, etc.
- Cone calorimeter: ASTM E 1354, ISO 5660,
- Flame spread tests: ASTM E 84 (Steiner
tunnel), ASTM E 648, EN 13823 (European Single Burning Item test), IMO
A.653 (FTP Code Parts 5 & 6), etc.
- Furniture and mattress tests: 16 CFR 1633
and 1634, CAL TB 133, etc.
- Ignitability tests: ASTM D 635, ASTM D 1929,
UL 94, etc.
- Room corner tests: NFPA 265, NFPA 286, ISO
9705, UL 1715, etc.
- Smoke and toxicity tests: ASTM E 622, IMO
FTP Code Part 2, etc.
- Wildland-urban interface fire testing: CASFM
12-7A Parts 1-4
Engineering and Research
- Commodity classification: FM 4995, UL
- Custom testing of fire protection
systems and agents
- Explosibility analysis and testing: ASTM
E 681, ASTM 2079, etc.
- Dust explosion testing: ASTM E 1226,
ASTM E 1515, NFPA 69
- Flame arrester testing: 33 CFR 154, etc.
- Hydrogen fire, explosion and safety
testing according to customized procedures
- Jet fire testing: OTI 95-634
- Suppression testing: UL 162, UL 711,
Listing and Labeling
- Third-party quality assurance and
follow-up inspection programs
- SwRI directory of listed products
- SwRI label for listed products
- Field inspections and evaluations
Ignition of 100-kW
burner in ISO 9705 room corner test
- More than 50,000 sq ft of
laboratory space spread over 10 buildings on the San Antonio
- Large vertical, large horizontal
and small horizontal fire resistance test furnaces
- Oxygen consumption calorimeters
to measure heat release rates from 1 kW to 10 MW
- State-of-the-art 4,225-sq-ft
building with pollution control for fire suppression testing
- Remote test in Sabinal, Texas,
for large pool fire and other experiments
- Digital still cameras
- Video cameras
- Infrared and ultraviolet
- High-speed (up to 10,000
- Streaming video capability
- Data acquisition
systems, including high-speed units
- Instrumentation to measure
temperature, heat flux, pressure, gas composition, etc.
- Facilities of other
departments available for complex multidisciplinary
- Multidisciplinary group
of engineers and scientists
- Chemical, civil, fire
protection and mechanical engineers
- Chemists, biologist and
- Professional engineer
licensed in Texas and Florida
- One engineer with
- Five engineers with
- Technicians with
extensive experience in constructing and
instrumenting specimens, setting up test rigs and
conducting routine and customized experiments
Evaluation of sprinkler system effectiveness
in suppressing IBC storage fires
- ISO 9001:2000
certified by NSF
Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) recognized
- Recognized by USCG
to perform testing and provide follow-up
services according to IMO FTP code
- Type A-1 Agency
recognized by California State Fire Marshall
- Recognized by local
- City of New York
- City of Los
- Miami Metro and
- Recognized by
agreements with SP in Sweden and EFECTIS in
The Netherlands to perform tests in support
of CE marking of construction products
17025:2005 accredited by IAS
This flyer was originally published in January 2009. For more
information about the Department of Fire Technology, contact
Dr. Matthew Blais, Director, Phone (210) 522-3524,
Chemical Engineering Division, Southwest Research Institute, P.O. Drawer
28510, San Antonio, Texas 78228-0510.
17020:0000 accredited by IAS
and Chemical Engineering Brochures
SwRI Technical Divisions