Aeronautical Telemetry Systems
SwRI has developed network-based solutions for flight test data acquisition systems used to certify commercial aircraft.
Our engineers are highly experienced in system integration as well as hardware and software development.
SwRI has developed several network standards and created shareable frameworks of software so vendors can build their own specific equipment to comply with these standards.
Research, design and development of high-throughput, low-latency, network-based instrumentation systems has been ongoing for more than 15 years at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI). We have designed and developed network-based systems for a variety of air, ground, and space applications using open standards.
Flight Test Data Acquisition Systems
SwRI has developed network-based solutions for flight test data acquisition systems used to certify commercial aircraft. These systems include features such as:
- Ethernet - 10/100/1000 copper fiber
- Internet Protocol (IP) Multicast
- High throughput (gigabit Ethernet speeds)
- Low latency
- Precision Time Protocol (PTP) - IEEE 1588 (sub-microsecond network-wide time synchronization)
- Embedded software
- Consolidated system management using Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- Combination of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) and custom hardware
From Design Concept to Delivery
We have developed innovative network solutions and taken the design from concept to delivery. Features include:
- Adapting solutions to legacy systems
- Designing systems that use both COTS and custom hardware
- Designing flight-ruggedized hardware
- Developing embedded software compliant with DO-178B
Integrating Multiple Vendor Network Equipment
Engineers have integrated equipment from multiple vendors and assisted vendors in developing and applying network technologies to existing instrumentation devices. In addition, we have a large investment of testing resources including an expansive network test bed for integrating these devices into systems.
Government Network Infrastructure Devices
SwRI staff is experienced with government network infrastructure devices such as encryptors, routers and telemetry transmitters/ receivers—and with integrating these devices in high-throughput, low-latency networks.
Network Standards Development
We have developed several network standards and created shareable frameworks of software so vendors can build their own specific equipment to comply with these standards. Features include:
- Improved interoperability between equipment from multiple vendors
- Faster system development
- Reduced system development costs
SwRI also has extensive experience in developing components and standards that can work with challenging security requirements and constraints.
network-based instrumentation • flight test data acquisition systems • legacy systems solutions • network technologies • instrumentation device • network test bed • network standards • shareable frameworks • security constraints