Intelligent Vehicle Systems
The technical breadth of SwRI allows the assembly of a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers with extensive capabilities and experience working in fields related to vehicular autonomy.
Sensor/computing/mobile technologies are currently being investigated and developed by Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) in an effort to augment vehicle platforms and provide autonomous vehicle and active safety capabilities. The platforms support a variety of missions and applications. SwRI envisions the fully automated highway and the fully automated vehicle as the future of ground-based transportation systems and cooperating Unmanned Ground Vehicles (UGVs) as the future of combat operations.
Examples of SwRI's autonomous vehicle activities include:
- Mobile Autonomous Robotics Technology Initiative (MARTI®)—formerly the Southwest Safe Transport Initiative (SSTI)
- SwRI's demonstration of autonomous vehicle on the streets of New York City—View in Windows Media
- SwRI's demonstration of vehicle platoon in Washington D.C.
- SwRI's demonstration of UGV support of convoy operations at the U.S. Army-sponsored Robotics Rodeo at Fort Hood, Texas
Autonomous/Automated Vehicle Enabling Technologies
The technical breadth of SwRI allows the assembly of a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers with extensive capabilities and experience working in fields related to vehicular autonomy. This team applies its respective domain knowledge to include the current state of the art in:
- Command and control
This knowledge has enabled the selection of cutting edge hardware and software components and a sound research plan to develop an advanced fully autonomous ground vehicle.
Advanced Knowledge in the Area of Autonomous/Automated Systems
SwRI is equipped with advanced knowledge in the following related fields:
- Machine vision and image processing
- Advanced control systems design
- Vehicle dynamics modeling and simulation
- Software engineering and development
- Communication systems engineering
- Systems integration and rapid prototyping
- Independent test and evaluation
- Cooperative systems
- Multiagent Systems Engineering (MaSE)
intelligent transportation systems • IVS facilities • ITS • automation and data systems • cooperative vehicle systems • intelligent vehicle • intelligent highway • public safety enhancement • traffic management centers