Research, Development, Test, & Engineering (RDT&E) Facilities
In support of our defense, automotive, construction, agriculture, and transportation clients, SwRI maintains world-class engineering and test facilities at our San Antonio, TX, headquarters.
Consisting of more than 10,000 ft2 (930 m2), the Intelligent Vehicle System Research, Development, Test, and Engineering (RDT&E) facilities allow for multiple compartmentalized programs to be run concurrently with maximum protection of industrial proprietary, military, and foreign customer intellectual property. The laboratories contain:
- Three software development and engineering labs
- Meeting facilities immediately adjacent to the development labs to accommodate more than 25 people
- Six full-size vehicle bays, including two that can accommodate two 35,000-lb vehicles more than 12' (3.6 m) high and 26' (7.9 m) long
- State-of-the-art measurement and calibration systems
- Full indoor GPS re-radiation
- Environmental, vibration, and EMC chambers
Test Vehicle Fleet
SwRI IVS also maintains a fleet of test vehicles that range from small ATVs to a full-size Class VIII tractor-trailer. The IVS Fleet includes several fully actuated, fully autonomous platforms. These vehicles are available for client programs.
Automotive Test Track
In support of numerous commercial program, SwRI maintains a >1 mile (1.6 km) oval test track with a fully equipped multi-lane signalized intersection.
Off Road Tactical Test Range
SwRI also has a 200-acre (80-ha) tactical off-road range on facility capable of testing automated vehicles and UGVs in various two-track and off road scenarios. The test range contains various grades, slopes, canopy, field, and creek bed areas.