SwRI has developed a complete hardware and software retrofit kit for commercial vehicles to provide vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) safety applications for vehicles operating in the USDOT Safety Pilot Model Deployment.
A fundamental goal of the RSD project was to develop a modular, on-board safety system that could be installed and used on commercial vehicles, regardless of the make or model of the vehicle. The project implemented the following system components:
- J1939 CAN interface
- IEEE1609.2 DSRC security interface
- A data acquisition system (DAS) capable of recording:
- J1939 CAN data
- Forward radar data
- Video from up to 4 cameras mounted in the vehicle
- Safety application events
- Periodic GPS and system status
- The following safety applications
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Emergency Electronic Brake Lights (EEBL)
- Curve Speed Warning (CSW)
Commercial vehicles in the USDOT Safety Pilot Model Deployment area are outfitted with RSD kits and DAS and are generating data that are being supplied to the USDOT's independent evaluator. Data collected from the approximately 3,000 vehicles contributing to the model deployment to supply data to support NHTSA's decision on vehicle communications for safety.