Erosion & Slurry Flow Testing
Flow Component Testing Facilities
Down hole fracking conditions can be recreated to demonstrate erosion experienced in the field.
Extended duration flow testing, to the point of product failure, is performed in a safe environment, where results are well documented.
Sand and proppant can cause a great deal of erosion when passed through a flow component. SwRI has designed and operated flow loops to monitor continuous wear on a part or tool.
Testing can be performed on:
- Pressure relief devices
- Tools used in fracturing operations
- Down hole production equipment
The conditions listed below outline some of the flow conditions that the FCTF has experience with meeting. If the flow conditions fall outside of these, we can work to design a test setup that will work for you.
- Concentrations up to 4 pounds of sand/proppant per gallon of water (with viscosifier)
- Concentrations up to 2% by volume of sand/proppant (without viscosifier)
- Customer specified proppant media, specialty sand, or grain size
- Sand sizes from 40 mesh down to 320 mesh
- Flow rates up to 50,000 bpd
- Sand erosion flow through pressure relief valves, frac sleeves and other downhole and surface tools
Evidence of erosion can be gathered by visual inspection, measuring internal dimensions, or weighing the tool to determine material loss.
Testing can be performed to client supplied test procedures, or SwRI can help develop a test plan that represents field conditions.
Our wide range of available instrumentation and equipment will allow us to design and construct a custom flow loop that is best suited to meet your specific testing needs.
See also Custom Design and Testing.
API 14A • API 6AV1 • ISO 10432 • Safety Valve Testing • API 19V • Barrier Valve Testing