The new multiphase machinery facility will expand the capabilities of the wet gas-testing program to include larger equipment and other machinery.
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) is advancing the state-of-the-art in multiphase machinery testing with the construction of a new multiphase machinery test facility. The 6,000-square-foot facility will be operational in 2016.
Current Facility Capabilities
|Dry and wet gas compressor testing and component flow testing|
|Gas Media||Air, nitrogen, or carbon dioxide|
|Liquid Media||Water, Exxsol D110|
|Test Section Pipe Size||6" / 152 mm, Sch 40 max|
|Pressure Range||14.7 to 500 psia / 1 to 34.4 bara(a)|
|Temperature Range||70 to 284 °F / 21 to 140 °C(b)|
|Gas Flow Range||0 to 25,000 scfm / 0 to 42,000 sm3/hr(c)|
|Liquid Flow Range||0 to 220 gpm / 0 to 50 m3/h|
|Machinery||Configurable centrifugal compressor (up to 4 stages) driven by motor, max speed 14,000 RPM, max power 700 HP/522 kW, direct torque measurement on compressor|
|(a) Suction pressure is limited to 300 psia.
(b) Suction temperature is limited to 100 °F at 300 psia.
(c) Suction flow rate range for compressor is 300 to 1,400 acfm.
- Reconfigurable pipe loop to accommodate machinery or flow component testing in multiphase streams
- Long straight runs of piping to allow for large flow component testing and fully developed flow streams
- Configurable centrifugal compressor available for multiphase testing including aerodynamic, mechanical, and erosion performance
- Access to corrosive gas mixtures for corrosion testing of machinery or flow components
- Flow visualization for ambient pressure compressors
Future Planned Capabilities
- Double size of high bay and outside equipment pad to allow testing of larger machines
- Use of natural gas for testing
- Increase suction pressure range to greater than 1,000 psia (70 bar)
- Install an electrical drive to provide up to 10 MW for machinery power
- Incorporate other hydrocarbon fluids for multiphase testing
- Flow visualization of two-phase flow inside pressurized machinery
- Expansion to multiphase pump performance testing
SwRI offers a full range of capabilities and experience in testing your machinery or flow components in multiphase fluids. Contact us for more information about multiphase testing at SwRI.
wet gas compression • system performance • compressors • compressor performance • oil industry • gas industry • natural gas • power generation • fogging overspray • gas turbine output