Geologic cross section based on seismic and dip meter data forms the basis for restoration.
Field photograph illustrating 3D fault exposures in limestone
Dilational fault zone segment along southwest-dipping normal fault in West Texas
Dilation tendency analysis of synthetic fractures cutting through a simulated borehole. Pink, purple, and dark blue indicate fractures that are likely to dilate (open) in the current stress state.
Structural geology services offered at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) include:
- Field investigations of faulting in carbonate and
clastic sedimentary strata:
- Fault system evolution
- Fault zone deformation
- Scaling relationships
- Permeability architecture
- Two-dimensional (2D) and three-dimensional (3D) geometric and kinematic modeling, balancing, and restoration along with seismic interpretation
- Stress analysis using
a SwRI-developed program that calculates:
- Slip tendency and direction
- Dilation tendency
- Leakage potential of faults and fractures
- Prediction of effective reservoir properties based on subseismic-scale fault and fracture analyses
- State-of-the-art facility for physical analog
modeling of geologic structures, including application
of dynamic structured light facility for digital terrain
analysis of developing models:
- Extensional structures
- Contractional structures
- Strike-slip structures
- Salt-related structures
- Field courses and short courses in extensional, strike slip, and contractional tectonic regimes, highlighted in a Technology Today article.
Sequence of restored geologic cross sections shows the evolution of the fold-thrust structures that are the structural framework for the petroleum system.
Slip tendency analysis (3DStress) of Bare Mountain and Yucca Mountain faults, southern Nevada. Hot colors indicate areas of likely fault slip.
fault system evolution • geochemistry • fluid flow • geomechanics • reservoir engineering • structural geology • stress analysis • fault zone deformation • permeability • architecture • subsurface geometry • field investigations • reservoir properties • geometric modeling • kinematic modeling