SwRI helps the automotive industry develop the latest cybersecurity solutions for passenger vehicles, commercial fleets, and military vehicles. Vehicle and embedded systems security is an inherently inter-disciplinary domain. Most organizations offering security services are focused on information technology (IT) or have expertise in only one aspect of cyber security (e.g. hardware, software or communications). Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) takes a holistic approach to vehicle security and has staff with experience in all relevant areas.
Expertise & Capabilities
Multidisciplinary capabilities in advanced science and applied technology enables SwRI to provide full-service solutions related to automotive cyber security. From wired and wireless networking to embedded hardware and software, we support clients in many ways, including:
- Autonomous Vehicle Security
- Independent Assessment
- Reverse Engineering
- Risk Modeling
- Secure Over the Air Updates
- Sensor Security
- Threat Modeling
- Vehicle Cybersecurity
- Vehicle Penetration Testing
- Vehicle Security Assessments
- Vulnerability Assessments
SwRI Facilities & Resources
Research facilities on SwRI’s grounds include an automobile test track, drive-in shielded RF chambers, and state-of-the-art dynamometers with computer-based control systems that regulate vehicle speed, which enables in-place testing while vehicular systems can perform as they would on the open road.
- Headquarters on more than 1,200 acres instrumented with dedicated short-range communications (DSRC) radios, signage, and representative obstacles
- Embedded Systems Security Research and Test Laboratory
- One-mile automobile test track
- Drive-in shielded radio-frequency (RF) chambers
- 200 state-of-the-art dynamometers with computer-based control systems
- More than 2 million square feet of laboratories and offices
Information about the Automotive Consortium for Embedded Security (ACES) can be found here.