Fire detection and suppression save lives and reduce loss in the occurrence of a fire. Our facilities are large enough to accommodate a 10-foot-diameter pool fire or a 50-foot-tall corner test. We perform both standard fire suppression tests and nonstandard fire detection, fire suppression evaluations. We conduct nonstandard tests to evaluate fire protection schemes for storage and to offer recommendations to regulatory bodies as to the minimum acceptable protection guidelines for various applications.
For questions about this testing, please contact Karen Carpenter at +1 210 522 3718.
Standard Fire Suppression Testing
SwRI conducts a variety of standard fire suppression tests including, but not limited to:
- FM 2000: Approval Standard for Automatic Sprinklers for Fire Protection
- FM 2008: Approval Standard for Suppression Mode [Early Suppression - Fast Response (ESFR)] Automatic Sprinklers
- FM 4995: Approval Standard for Commodity Classification of Idle Plastic Pallets
- FM 4996: Approval Standard for Classification of Idle Plastic Pallets as Equivalent to Wood Pallets
- IMO MSC Circ. 848: Revised Guidelines for the approval of Equivalent Fixed Gas Fire-Extinguishing Systems, as referred to in SOLAS 74, for Machinery Spaces and Cargo Pump-Rooms
- IMO MSC Circ. 913: Guidelines for the Approval of Fixed Water-Based Local Application Fire-Fighting Systems for Use in Category A Machinery Spaces
- MIL-F-24385F: Fire Extinguishing Agent, Aqueous Film-Forming Foam (AFFF) Liquid Concentrate for Fresh and Sea Water
- NFPA 10: Standard for Portable Fire Extinguishers
- NFPA 11: Standard for Low-, Medium-, and High-Expansion Foam
- NFPA 18: Standard on Wetting Agents
- UL 162: Foam Equipment and Liquid Concentrates
- UL 199: Automatic Sprinklers for Fire-Protection Service
- UL 711: Rating and Fire Testing of Fire Extinguishers
- UL 1767: Early-Suppression Fast-Response Sprinklers
- UL 2335: Fire Tests of Storage Pallets
Nonstandard Fire Detection, Fire Suppression Testing
SwRI conducts nonstandard tests to evaluate fire protection schemes for storage of commodities. These types of tests can be used to develop recommendations to regulatory bodies as to the minimum acceptable protection guidelines for various applications.