The gas turbine industry continually challenges engineers to design, construct, and operate reliable and efficient gas turbines that meet market needs and respect the environment. Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) provides technical services, expertise, and research facilities to meet the challenges of:
- Gas Turbine Users
- Gas Turbine Suppliers
- Gas Turbine Manufacturers
Gas turbines are a versatile, cost-effective source of electricity, mechanical power, and propulsion. Gas turbines continually challenge engineers to design, construct, and operate reliable and efficient turbines that meet market needs and respect the environment. Southwest Research Institute works with users, suppliers, and manufacturers of gas turbines, providing technical services, expertise, and research facilities to meet the challenge.
Gas Turbine Engineering Capabilities
A complete list of gas turbine engineering capabilities is available online.
- Root Cause Failure Analysis: Blading, bearings, combustors, and other gas turbine components. Investigations combine the technologies of fractographic examination, materials evaluation, structural analysis, dynamic loading, thermal environment prediction, fracture mechanics analysis, and frequency testing. [Root Cause Failure Diagnosis]
- Troubleshooting Turbomachinery Operating and Installation Problems: Vibration problem diagnosis, monitoring systems and surveys, resonance identification, flow-induced vibration (exhaust ducts, HRSG, combustors), blade vibratory stress prediction, rotating machinery diagnosis, installation and commissioning support, rotor balancing, and third-party evaluation. [Turbomachinery Troubleshooting]
- Turbomachinery Performance Diagnosis: Diagnosis of fuel flow measurement accuracy, performance measurement methods and results, power output, and heat rate. Meter audits and high accuracy flow meter calibrations. Heat rate improvement studies, waste heat recovery analyses, and fluid mechanics and heat transfer analyses. [Turbomachinery Performance Analysis]
- Turbomachinery Developments: Radial Flow Gas Turbine is highly portable, able to operate with a wide range of fuels and is tolerant to ingestion of large particulate matter, such as sand or dirt, and Variable Speed Planetary Gear Box Power Turbine allows the single-shaft gas turbine to drive variable speed devices. [Radial Flow Gas Turbine]
- Rotordynamic and Mechanical Design Audits: Design audit services help both original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and end-users avoid severe vibrations and other damaging dynamic phenomena in machinery installations. [Rotordynamic and Design Audit]
- Mechanical Design Assurance: Rotor dynamics analysis (lateral/torsional/instability), pulsation control, FEA and CFD analyses, probabilistic evaluation, design recommendations. Design consultation and technical representation. Optimization and system integration for specialty applications of turbines and turbo-compressors. [Mechanical Design Assurance]
- Life Management and Extension: Durability and life estimation of hot section components, coating life prediction, probabilistic failure risk assessment, condition assessment of components. [Life Management and Extension Studies]
- Aero-Thermal Flow Analysis: Fluid dynamics and heat transfer, simulation and understanding of fluid flows, flow visualization techniques, flow facilities, turbomachinery test facility, flow instability. [Aero Thermal Flow Analyis]
- Materials and Coatings Selection: Selection and qualification of alternative materials and coatings, supplier qualification, refurbishment evaluation. [Materials and Coating Selection]
- Procurement Support: Basic specification writing, review, and technical bid evaluations, purchase management, bid tab comparisons. [Procurement Support]
- Blade Vibration Audit Technology: Diagnostic methods to detect and avoid high-cycle-fatigue damage, blade frequency audit, blade modal analysis, blade vibratory stress audit, probabilistic analysis, nonintrusive monitoring, telemetry testing, and slip ring systems. [Blade Vibration Audit]
- Nondestructive Testing: Ultrasonic and eddy current inspection, method development, and application. [Ultrasonic Testing]
- Fuels, Lubricants, and Combustion Technology [Combustion Technology]
- Air Pollution Control [Air Pollution Control]
SwRI can offer you a full range of capabilities and experience in gas turbine technology including becoming an extension of your engineering department.
Contact us for more information about our gas turbine technology capabilities, or how you can contract with SwRI. To contract with SwRI, please contact the Services Hotline at +1 210 522 3000.
For more information, contact Klaus Brun or call +1 210 522 5449.