This advanced course is intended for personnel who are already familiar with the GD&T principles and practices as related in ASME Y14.5M-1994, 2009, 2018 and ISO 1101 and related standards. The course is designed for engineering, design, manufacturing, quality, or other related personnel who need to better understand the interpretation and application of GD&T, as well as conventional tolerancing methods, to perform tolerance analysis on new and existing designs. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- How to reduce tolerance accumulation and variation in your products.
- How to perform and develop tolerance stacks using various methods including Microsoft Excel templates and software-based techniques.
- How to interpret and apply GD&T during tolerance analysis.
- How to use tolerance stacks to logically select and apply datums, dimensions, and tolerances.
- How to calculate tolerances by properly selecting and using tolerance stack methods and formulas.
- How to optimize dimensions and tolerances to improve design fit and function.
- How to increase part tolerance without compromising quality.
- How to determine appropriate tolerances based on product and process variation and capability.
- How to forecast component and assembly variation using statistical methods and Microsoft Excel.
- How to use GD&T and tolerance analysis as a tool to achieve Design for Six Sigma.
- How to use stacks to determine whether to apply position, concentricity, circular runout, or total runout.
- How to use tolerance stacks to address non-conformances; facilitate design changes; more quickly and safely “buy off” out-of-spec parts; and reduce scrap, rework, and time-to-market.
*Participants are encouraged to submit drawings (with or without GD&T) to the instructor before and during the seminar for review during the presentation.
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Southwest Research Institute
6220 Culebra Road
San Antonio, TX 78238
Intelligent Systems Division
Building 68 at 303 Tom Slick Avenue
$1,200.00 per participant
- 350+ page textbook
- Pre/post assessment
- Various references, tolerance stack spreadsheets and other tolerancing tools
- Certificate of Completion
- * Customized exercises based on participant drawings, views, or examples
- On-going email and telephone support from ITR available
- Coffee, water, cold drinks, snacks and lunch provided
- Wifi access
For inquiries, contact Barbara Harding.