FUELS AND LUBRICANTS RESEARCH DIVISION
Labor Category Description: Individuals assigned at these non-exempt positions provide support to the skilled senior technical staff. Using developed skills and practical knowledge. The technician is expected to do assigned tasks in the laboratory and/or testing environment under supervision. Individuals assigned in this position:
- Set up experimental apparatus following written or verbal instructions.
- Prepare samples, specimens, prototype instruments and/or test materials following defined procedures.
- Conduct, observe and document standardized test and analyses data following established protocols.
- Conduct routine maintenance on equipment.
- Maintain and order required materials.
Qualifications: This position requires a High School diploma or equivalent education, an Associate’s degree, trade school education or continuing education, and one year of relevant experience as a minimum. Individuals have basic knowledge of tasks associated with the technical area of work with skills in the application of mathematical functions, the use of PC software and hands-on craft abilities. Individuals are able to read schematics, drawings, sketches and technical instructions of testing protocols primarily in fuels and fluids engineering and have built a program or direct multiple program activities in a wide technical field. Technical areas of expertise include, but are not limited to, managing fuels, lubricants, functional fluids research, development, and evaluation programs; testing and analysis of fuel properties and performance, lubricants, automotive fluids, engine and vehicle components, wear, contamination, failure modes, long-term durability; development of test systems and procedures.