Unseen to the naked eye, microbes play a very important role in shaping the environment and human health. Microbiology testing services at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) help government and industry understand microbes while solving complex problems in healthcare, homeland security, medical device production, and energy and environmental applications. Our independent microbiology and virology laboratories draw upon expertise in life science, bacteriology, medicine, and chemistry to provide applied R&D and testing solutions.
Microbiology Testing Laboratory
We provide independent scientific analysis and innovations in decontamination methods, controlled release biocides, and microbial-induced corrosion. Our microbiology testing laboratory and virology laboratory functions at an enhanced Biological Safety Level 2 (BSL 2 laboratory) while meeting Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) regulations and include Class II, Type A2 biological safety cabinets. Learn more about microbiology lab tests and research here:
- Bioburden Testing
- Forensic Microbiology Laboratory & Homeland Security
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Services
- Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion
BSL 2 Laboratory Services
SwRI’s BSL 2 lab has experience in developing and modifying procedures, as well as conducting standard microbiology lab tests according to many guidelines (i.e., EPA, FDA, ASTM, AOAC, MIL, and CLSI) related to the following grouping of microbes:
- Spore Formers & Simulants – Bacillus anthracis, B. thuringiensis, B. cereus, B. subtilis, and Clostridium sp.
- Nosocomial Pathogens – Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA, VRSA), Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Streptococcus sp.
- Food-borne Pathogen Testing – Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella sp, and Vibrio cholera
- Mycology Lab Tests – Aspergillus brasiliensis, A. niger, Trichophyton metagrophytes, Chaetomium globosum, Aerobasidium pullulans, Penicillium sp, Candidia albicans, and Hormoconis resinae
- Virology Tests & Research – Pox viruses, influenza, bacteriophage
- Specialized Materials – Select toxins, tissue culture, blood, and other bodily fluid products
Visit Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Services for standards tested in our microbiology laboratory