Mechanical Engineering Division
Labor Category Description: Individuals assigned in these non-exempt positions possess in-depth skills and expertise in a specialty field and provide key support to scientific and engineering project personnel. Individuals exercise wide latitude in carrying out technical instructions and require minimum supervision. Individuals assigned in this position:
- Utilize personal discretion and knowledge to construct components, models, and adaptations of standard equipment.
- Troubleshoot problems with test equipment and components.
- Interact with senior staff and clients in discussion of current tests or future activities.
- Provide input to technical reports, proposals and procedures.
- Analyze technical data to uncover anomalies and/or report pertinent data elements.
- Provide training and assist with development of subordinate staff.
- Mentor subordinate technical laboratory staff.
This position requires a High School diploma or equivalent education, an Associate's degree, trade school education or continuing education, and five years of relevant experience as a minimum. Individuals supervise and train subordinate staff and interact with project managers and client technical representatives to ensure proper laboratory testing of products or prototypes primarily in mechanical and materials engineering and have built a program or direct multiple program activities in a wide technical field. Technical areas of expertise include engineering dynamics, materials engineering, mechanical and fluids engineering, structural engineering, and electromagnetic compatibility engineering to improve the safety, reliability, efficiency and life of new or existing mechanical components, structures. and systems.