The Chemical Engineering Department at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) develops technology and performs services for the petroleum, chemical, power and alternative fuels industries. SwRI supports "concept to commercialization" technology development through process simulation, laboratory investigations, bench-scale development, and the design and operation of pilot and demonstration plants.
To serve these technical projects, SwRI operates laboratories for process, physical, chemical and biological studies. We offer hydrocarbon characterization, physical property determination and unique analytical testing. A new chemical engineering center includes 40,000 square feet of high-bays, laboratories and office space.
Jimell Erwin, Director
Chemical Engineering Technical Strengths
Specialty Areas in the Chemical Engineering Department
- Alternative Fuel Center: Hydroprocessing
- Process Microbiology
- Carbon Capture Processing
- Distillation Capabilities
- Gas & Oil Production Support Services
- Process Simulation and Economics
- Heavy Oil and Residuum Processing
- Circulating Fluidized Bed
- Pilot Plant Design, Fabrication, and Operation