Client-Driven Internal Research for Addressing Critical Risk Items
SwRI low-cost, high-reliability, responsive spacecraft provide unique and innovative platforms for Earth observation and near-Earth applications.
Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) data rates and quantities benefit from SwRI integrated data management solutions.
High-rate communications (optical and RF) demand high-performance processors. SwRI’s extensive line of single board computers and signal processing engines address the most demanding computational needs.
During the next decade, a number of application areas will continue to drive requirements for space-based electronic solutions. These applications span the spectrum of high bandwidth, high performance remote sensing systems to low cost/low power responsive systems enabling rapid spacecraft deployment. Specific examples include:
- The ever-increasing demand for high-rate optical and radio frequency (RF) communications
- Advances in space-based sensors, such as radars, visible and near visible imaging, as well as hyperspectral imaging
- Computationally intensive signal processing and complex control functions previously only achievable with ground post-processing
- Emerging mission concepts including disaggregation, which facilitate enhanced operational capabilities and system resiliency
- Increased capabilities of smaller, more economical satellites to provide responsive solutions for critical applications.
These applications will require a significant growth in overall capabilities in the areas of:
- On-orbit processing and processor architectures
- High data rate collection and processing of sensor data
- Mass data storage
- Parallel computing and specialized processing for on-orbit data processing and decision making
- Low cost, low power payload and avionics solutions suitable for small satellite applications
At Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), we are continually surveying application areas and strategically investing in internal research to address critical risks in new technology development.
Our single-board computers span processing requirements from simple spacecraft control to massively parallel architectures for specialized instrument processing.
Included in our solid-state recorder offerings are high-rate analog and digital interfaces, high-rate buffering for rate control, and mass memory.
Internal investments in highly integrated small/micro-satellite avionics and command and data handling systems have produced small yet powerful avionics that can be scaled in parts program to address long duration, high reliability missions or cost-constrained demonstration class missions.
Signal exploitation and real-time decision making require innovations in affordable RF electronics and control algorithms, part of SwRI’s suite of expertise.
Hyperspectral imaging results in large quantities of high-rate data. SwRI high-rate data buffers and mass memory offer expandable solutions for image data manipulation and storage.
space applications • spacecraft technology • space avionics • advanced spacecraft avionics • payload processing solutions • high-speed digital data manipulation • management • algorithm development • applied mathematics • advanced computing solutions