Surface engineering uses various processes to modify the surface of materials for improved properties. Southwest Research Institute’s surface engineering and coating services include analytical testing, failure analysis, prototype or technology development, pilot production, and manufacturing implementation support.
Our experience – SwRI has over 75 years of combined experience in the development of surface modification, thin films, and coating technologies for advanced material solutions.
What we do – We work closely with clients to solve needs through controlled engineering of surface properties. We identify, characterize, and implement near-term solutions and develop novel technology for future applications.
Our approach – As an independent non-profit organization we can avoid technology bias in selecting the optimal solution for our client’s needs.
Our Markets – We support aircraft, automotive, defense, energy, medical, offshore/subsea, printing, security, and space industries.
Surface Engineering & Coating Technology Services
- Atmospheric Plasma
- Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) Coating
- Oleophobic and Hydrophobic Coating
- Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (PECVD)
- Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) Coatings
- Thin Film Deposition Services
- Surface Functionalization
- Surface Roughening
Materials Engineering & Science
- Fluorescence Spectroscopy
- Materials Characterization & Performance Testing
- Materials Synthesis
- Surface Engineering & Materials Chemistry Facilities
Optical Coatings Services
Modeling & Design Services
- Analyzing parts and failures
- Troubleshooting and optimizing existing processes
- Identifying manufacturing partners and equipment