Connected powertrain technology improves fuel efficiency and performance in conventional internal combustion engines, electric and hybrid vehicles with software and data by leveraging onboard sensing and external connectivity via vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V), vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) and vehicle-to-everything (V2X) technologies.
Connected Powertrain Solutions
Our solutions lie at the intersection of connected vehicles and powertrain engineering with technology offerings spanning speed/route optimization and applied research/testing specific to powertrains, vehicle networks, and external infrastructure.
- Eco-Driving - Leverage connected powertrain information from neighboring vehicles (V2V) and traffic signals (V2I) to minimize accelerations and generate an energy-efficient speed profile.
- Eco-Routing - Fuse powertrain dynamics layer on top of existing off-the-shelf navigational services to present energy optimal routes specific to vehicle powertrain and driver behavior.
- Driver Speed Advisory - Using third-party services, SwRI is working on scalable frameworks for a driver advisory system with easy integration into a navigation systems or mobile applications.
- Traffic Simulated Integrated Chassis Dynamometer - Evaluate fuel economy, emissions, CAV algorithms and new technologies augmented by traffic simulators.
- Powertrain Centric Solutions - Advanced powertrain control for electrified powertrains, engine control, transmission control and ultra-low NOx solutions for heavy duty trucks.
Our connected powertrain expertise is helping clients gain efficiency improvements on SAE Level 2 and higher automated vehicles. SwRI is leading a Department of Energy research program to demonstrate energy savings at a system level while having no negative impact on traffic flux. The program studies the effect of CAV technologies at a system level focusing on vehicles with different powertrains, varying levels of automation and intelligent infrastructure.
The project builds upon our successful ARPA-E NEXTCAR program, that demonstrated a 20% improvement in fuel economy on a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) through connectivity and automation.
- Active-Vision Anomaly Detection
- Automated Driving Systems & UGVs
- Automotive Cyber Security
- Automotive Vehicles, Engines & Drivelines
- Clean Hybrid Electric Diesel Engine (CHEDE) 8
- Connected Vehicle Technologies
- Connected & Automated Vehicles (CAVs)
- Electric Powertrain Systems
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Powertrain Engineering