Unseen to the naked eye, microbes play a very important role in shaping the environment, materials and human health. Science and innovation, in the fields of microbiology, at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) help government and industry understand microbes while solving complex challenges in healthcare, homeland security, medical device production, materials design, and energy and environmental applications. Our independent microbiology and virology laboratories draw upon expertise in life science, bacteriology, molecular genetics, medicine, and chemistry pillars to provide applied R&D and testing solutions.
Microbiology Research Services
We provide independent scientific analysis and innovations in decontamination methods, controlled release biocides microbial-induced corrosion and device method validation. Our laboratories function at an enhanced Biological Safety Level 2 (BSL 2 laboratory) while meeting Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) regulations and include Class II, Type A2 biological safety cabinets. Learn more about microbiology research and testing here:
- Bioburden Monitoring & Analysis
- Microbial Forensic & Homeland Security
- EPA Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Studies
- Microbial Influenced Corrosion R&D
SwRI’s microbiologists are experienced in developing and modifying procedures, as well as conducting standard microbiology lab tests according to many guidelines (i.e., EPA, FDA, ASTM, AOAC, MIL, and CLSI) related to the following grouping of microbes:
- Spore Formers & Simulants – Bacillus anthracis, B. thuringiensis, B. cereus, B. subtilis, and Clostridium sp.
- Nosocomial Pathogens – Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA, VRSA), Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Streptococcus sp.
- Food-borne Pathogen Testing – Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella sp, and Vibrio cholera
- Mycology Lab Tests – Aspergillus brasiliensis, A. niger, Trichophyton metagrophytes, Chaetomium globosum, Aerobasidium pullulans, Penicillium sp, Candidia albicans, and Hormoconis resinae
- Virology Tests & Research – Pox viruses, influenza, bacteriophage
- Specialized Materials – Select toxins, tissue culture, blood, and other bodily fluid products
Visit EPA Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Studies for standards tested in our microbiology laboratory.