New technologies are advancing the energy storage capacity of batteries, cells and packs that power handheld devices, electric vehicles and grid-scale energy storage systems. The Energy Storage Technology Center® (ESTC) at Southwest Research Institute is an internationally recognized laboratory for battery research, development and testing in accordance with government and industry standards. In addition to battery safety and abuse testing, SwRI’s ESTC features technology experts from diverse scientific fields to support R&D and evaluation of energy storage systems.
The turnkey advantage of testing batteries at SwRI
We offer turnkey battery safety testing and research services for battery cell, module and pack levels. SwRI can perform all battery mechanical, electrical, thermal and performance testing in-house at a single location. Analysis and testing include, among other services:
- Gaseous and particulate emissions measurement and characterization
- Nondestructive and destructive post-test analysis
- Teardown analysis
- Lithium-Ion battery testing
Battery safety testing is performed under an ISO 9001-certified quality management system, with most tests covered under an ISO 17025 testing laboratory accreditation. Disposal of any hazardous waste follows ISO 14001.
Battery Abuse Testing
The ESTC performs rigorous battery abuse testing and analyzes how batteries, cells and packs respond. This allows manufacturers and consumers to better understand how, when and why failure can occur.
- Nail penetration
Battery Safety Testing
We have dedicated engineering staff capable of designing custom battery safety testing plans, enclosures and stands. In addition to standardized battery safety testing, we commonly create custom testing plans and testing rigs.
- Extreme conditions: –70°C to +175°C
- Altitude simulation up to 32,000 m
- Fire resistance and flammability
- Corrosive salt fog and dust
- Thermal runaway prevention
Battery Fire Testing
We help clients characterize thermal properties of batteries through electrical safety validation and battery fire testing.
- External short circuit
- Overcharge and over-discharge up to 1200 V and 1333 amps
- Dielectric voltage withstand
- Isolation resistance
Learn more from our Automotive Webinar Series
Visit the SwRI Automotive Webinar Series to learn more about battery safety and abuse testing.
Visit Fuel Tank & Battery Testing to learn more about battery fire testing in accordance with ECE 100 Annex 8E and GB/T 31467 3-2015, Section 7.10 and other standards.
Battery Testing Standards
SwRI can conduct testing to a variety of custom or modified battery testing standards and procedures, including, but not limited to:
- UN ECE100-02
- UN 38.3
- SAE J2464
- SAE J2929
- NAVSEA S9310
- GB/T 31467.3
- Flight Readiness
- UL 1642
- UL 1973
- UL 2580
- UL 9540
- NASA CMC-EP-WI-033
- NASA EP-WI-032
- AAR S-9401
We provide R&D and analysis services across the electric powertrain.
- Battery Testing & Research
- Electric Mobility Solutions
- Electric Powertrain Systems
- Energy Storage Technology Center
- Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Battery Testing Laboratory
- Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Testing
- UL 9540A Testing for Battery Energy Storage Systems
- UN 38.3 Transportation Testing for Lithium-Ion Batteries