Advanced Electronic Warfare Solutions
Keeping pace with technological change is imperative for modern warfighters. Southwest Research Institute develops advanced electronic warfare (EW) systems that sustain legacy technologies and integrate state-of-the-art capabilities for air and ground applications. Prepare for the next generation of advanced electronic warfare through our applied research and development for military and defense.
SwRI constantly pushes the envelope on EW technology by funding internal research into highly advanced EW systems, including R&D 100 Award-winning antennas, in-flight machine learning algorithms, wideband-staring digital receivers, advanced digital radio frequency (DRFM) capability, and advanced signal processing.
Advanced Electronic Warfare Test & Evaluation
SwRI researchers are working with U.S. military clients to develop closed-loop direct injection test and evaluation environments with fully programmable multi-function radars and ultra-wideband, dense spectrum generation for EA/ES/ES/SIGINT. Our tools include:
- SPARTA Electronic Warfare Advanced Test System – Tackle congested environments, verify performance of single and multiple false target electronic countermeasure (ECW) systems with intuitive, high-fidelity automated test solutions.
- Advanced Electronic Warfare Laboratory – Test and research EW systems, including algorithms and radar models, helping understand how DRFMs and ECMs affect radar targets.
- Sustainment Services – Implement SOSA and improve DFRM technical insertions.
- ATHENA - Rapidly extract signals of interest for RWR and ELINT applications with SOSA-aligned receivers, even in heavily congested environments.
- Multi-function RF Operations – Scale and reconfigure hardware-agnostic airborne payloads to support SIGINT, EW, and RF-enabled cybersecurity operations in a software system.
Diminishing Manufacturing Sources (DMS)
We support U.S. Department of Defense interoperability initiatives, integrating new technology with systems facing obsolescence due to diminishing manufacturing sources and material shortages (DMSMS). Our sustainment solutions span the insertion of digital radio frequency memory (DRFM), alignment of Sensor Open System Architecture (SOSA), and compliance with Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE). Our DMS solutions include:
- MOISEC – Manage and integrate SOSA and DRFM insertions using Mitigate Obsolescence, Improve Sustainability and Enhance Capability.
- Equipment Analysis & Sustainment Planning – Learn how access to support equipment impacts aircraft availability. Maintenance equipment for a wide array of aircraft is aging and becoming less reliable, affecting military readiness.
- DMS projection studies
Avionics Tools for Advanced EW
SwRI is a leader in development and integration of avionics, or aviation electronics, used in defense aircraft and space applications. Our tools include:
- CyberDAMS – This Aircraft Cybersecurity tool detects and mitigations cyber intrusion using machine learning and zero-swap software.
- Avionics & Support Systems
- Software Engineering for Avionics & Support Systems