Over the past 17 years, the NASGRO® Team at SwRI® has presented the NASGRO short course 91 times (29 in-person courses in San Antonio, 13 open live virtual courses, 38 in-person courses at customer sites, and 11 live virtual courses for specific organizations). We have trained over 1,800 people.
This course is intended for engineers and scientists wanting to become more familiar with NASGRO. Previous background in fracture mechanics is helpful but not essential. No previous experience with NASGRO is required, but even experienced NASGRO users can learn many new things about the software in this course. The course is taught using both lectures and hands-on example problems. Both fracture mechanics theory and NASGRO features are addressed.
Open Training Courses
We now offer a live virtual NASGRO short course. The course uses the same curriculum and the same instructors as the original in-person course, but the content is presented over five different days for about four or five hours each day. The lectures and NASGRO demonstrations are presented using Microsoft Teams, and the hands-on student exercises can be performed using NASGRO installed on a virtual computer in the cloud (each student will have secure access). This cloud-based service allows the instructors to “look over the shoulder” of individual students and provide personalized help when someone has difficulties. Students will also be given access to a free short-term demo copy of NASGRO that they can install on their own computer. A PDF copy of the presentation charts will be provided to the students. A typical agenda for a live virtual course is available here.
Our next two live virtual NASGRO short courses will be December 5, 6, 7, 12, and 13, 2023, and January 23, 24, 25, 30, and 31, 2024. The December course will be held each day starting at 8:30 am US Central Time and ending around 1:00 pm CT. The January course will be held each day starting at 12:30 pm US Central Daylight Time and ending around 5:00 pm CT. Some days will go a little longer or shorter.
The registration fee for this course is $1750 for standard registration ($875 for employees of companies participating in the NASGRO Consortium).
To register for a NASGRO training course at SwRI, contact Ms. Alberta “Birdie” Matthews at +1 210 522 3076. Registration will be confirmed only after receipt of payment. Several methods of payment are accepted, including credit cards via a secure registration portal.
Refunds will be provided for registrants unable to attend the course ONLY if written notification is provided to Alberta Matthews no later than 30 days prior to the course. In the unlikely event of insufficient registration, SwRI reserves the right to cancel the course no later than 30 days prior to the course.
For more information about open live virtual training courses, contact Craig McClung.
Training Courses in Europe
SwRI and the European Space Agency occasionally teach a special joint course on NASGRO and ESACRACK at the ESA Technical Center in Noordwijk, Netherlands. The course is open to citizens of ESA and European Union Member States and the USA (not just ESA employees and contractors). For other nationalities, restrictions may apply. This class covers most of the material in the standard NASGRO three-day class, plus additional lectures on supplementary ESACRACK modules such as ESALOAD and ESAFATIG. The ESA class originally scheduled for 2020 was postponed twice because of the COVID-19 virus issues. It will be rescheduled for a date TBD, subject to a favorable status of the COVID-19 virus situation at that time. Contact Gerben Sinnema at ESA for more information about the ESA class. View additional information about this training.
Training Courses for Individual Organizations
Upon request, the SwRI team is available to present the NASGRO course at client sites, or to offer dedicated live virtual classes for individual organizations. Costs to present those courses depend on course duration and location. These fees support the actual expenses of staff time, travel (if required), and reproduction of curriculum materials. The content and length of the course can be tailored to your specific needs. For more information about NASGRO classes for individual organizations, contact Joe Cardinal.
SwRI has conducted live, virtual “onsite” NASGRO training courses for the following clients:
- NASA Kennedy Space Center, FL (2022)
- Blue Origin, Kent, WA (2022)
- Space X, Hawthorne, CA (2021)
- Space X, Hawthorne, CA (2021)
- Honda R&D, Japan (2021)
- Dynetics, Huntsville, AL (2021)
- Sierra Nevada Corporation, Louisville, CO (2021)
- Leonardo (2021)
- Latecoere, Toulouse, France (2016)
SwRI has conducted onsite NASGRO training courses for the following clients:
- NASA Pressure System Managers, Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH (2022)
- Airbus, Toulouse, France (2020)
- NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX (2018)
- European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, The Netherlands (2018)
- Leonardo Helicopters, Vergiate, Italy (2018)
- NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL (2018)
- US Army Picatinny Arsenal, NJ (2018)
- European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, The Netherlands (2017)
- Airbus, Toulouse, France (2017)
- Boeing, Huntsville, AL (2017)
- RUAG Space, Zurich, Switzerland (2017)
- European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, The Netherlands (2015)
- SpaceX, Hawthorne, CA (2015)
- SpaceX, Hawthorne, CA (2015)
- NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA (2014)
- AgustaWestland, Vergiate, Italy (2014)
- Virgin Galactic, Mojave, CA (2014)
- European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, The Netherlands (2013)
- European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, The Netherlands (2012)
- United Space Alliance, Titusville, FL (2012)
- Siemens Energy, Orlando, FL (2012)
- Airbus, Toulouse, France (2011)
- European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, The Netherlands (2011)
- European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, The Netherlands (2010)
- Boeing, Houston, TX (2010)
- Bombardier Aerospace, Montreal, Canada (2010)
- NASA, Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA (2009)
- NAVAIR, San Diego, CA (2009)
- NAVAIR, Lakehurst, NJ (2009)
- NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL (2009)
- NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA (2009)
- AgustaWestland, Cascina Costa, Italy (2008)
- SpaceX, Hawthorne, CA (2008)
- NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH (2007)
- NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL (2007)
- Lockheed Martin, Michoud Assembly Facility, LA (2006)
- Hamilton Sundstrand, Windsor Locks, CT (2006)
Or call +1 210 522 3323.