Design audit services help both original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and end-users avoid severe vibrations and other damaging dynamic phenomena in machinery installations. Catching problems at the design stage, instead of in the field, avoids costly schedule delays and lost production.
Design Audit Capabilities
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) uses both commercially available and internally developed software coupled with extensive field experience to:
- Predict system dynamic characteristics
- Assess the potential for problems
- Identify modifications that will reduce the chance of problems
- Identify operating ranges to be avoided
- Define any areas of risk or uncertainty to be validated during startup
Design Audit Services
The design audit services cover:
- Rotor system lateral critical speeds and stability
- Steady-state and transient torsional vibrations
- Bearings, stiffness, damping, and load capacity
- Damper seal and labyrinth seal modeling
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling of fluid forces acting on rotor
- Substructure (casing, foundation, etc.) modeling coupled to the rotor using finite elements
- Finite element analysis (FEA) of critical components for stress and deflection
- Compressor and turbine skid dynamic prediction
- Mechanical integrity evaluation for impellers, blading, and other components
- Modal analysis and dynamic stress prediction using finite element methods
- Modal testing for component and system characteristics
To contract with SwRI, please contact the Machinery Services Hotline at +1 210 522 3000.
For more information, contact Tim Allison or call +1 210 522 3561.