With more than 70 years of experience in encapsulation technology at the micro- and nanoscales, we can solve your application problems by using a wide variety of microencapsulation and particle coating technologies. Our full range of services includes feasibility studies, product and process optimization, pilot-scale production, equipment fabrication, and scale and system integration. Customized microcapsules and microspheres can be developed for dissolution due to heat, chemical change, and friction, depending on application.
Microencapsulation Coating Technologies
We focus on solving customer application problems using a wide variety of microencapsulation and particle coating technologies. These services are offered to a broad spectrum of industries such as food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, consumer and personal care products, agricultural veterinary medicine, industrial chemicals, biotechnology, biomedical, and sensors. For more than 70 years, extensive research efforts have developed custom-made microcapsules and microspheres by selecting appropriate shell compositions, depending on product application. Typically, the goal is to establish proof-of-concept for a viable product application. Once successful, SwRI offers pilot plant scale-up capabilities, production experience, and product assistance to deliver encapsulated product for the commercial market.
SwRI microencapsulation is a vertically integrated, world-class microencapsulation capability that offers a broad-based technology platform in microencapsulation techniques. We provide quality service including feasibility study, product and process optimization, production, equipment fabrication/sale and system integration.
Find micro/nano services such as encapsulation, micronization and particle engineering solutions.Download Brochure
New Microencapsulation Capabilities
Learn about SwRI’s latest capabilities from electrostatic spray drying to inert spray drying and fluid bed coating.Download Brochure
- Design of custom microencapsulated formulations to meet requirements for size, payload, chemical resistance, thermal stability, release control, physical strength, shelf-life, taste masking, controlled (sustained, delayed, or targeted) release rates
- Production of research quantities to market scale from 0.5 micrometers and as large as 6 milliliters in diameter
Design and process development
- Selection of suitable process technology from SwRI’s microencapsulation technology platform to meet client’s product economics and production requirements
- Improve existing unit operations and develop new technologies for processing of microcapsules
- Scale-up and production know-how to meet client’s specific needs including pilot-scale production, component fabrication, and system integration
Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Facility
- Approximately 4000 sq ft with separate suites for food and pharmaceutical research and small-scale production activities
- Formulation development using Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP) and Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), pharmacokinetic (PK) studies, method development and validation for controlled-release systems, in vitro release testing, and physical characterization of the encapsulated formulations
If you are interested in our microencapsulation services, please fill out and submit this Microencapsulation Requirements Form.
Information about the Introduction to Microencapsulation Workshop can be found here.