Mechanical Engineering Division
Labor Category Description: Individuals assigned at these non-exempt positions provide support to the skilled senior technical staff. Using developed skills and practical knowledge. The technician is expected to do assigned tasks in the laboratory and/or testing environment under supervision. Individuals assigned in this position:
- Set up experimental apparatus following written or verbal instructions.
- Prepare samples, specimens, prototype instruments and/or test materials following defined procedures.
- Conduct, observe and document standardized test and analyses data following established protocols.
- Conduct routine maintenance on equipment.
- Maintain and order required materials.
Qualifications: This position requires a High School diploma or equivalent education, an Associate's degree, trade school education or continuing education, and one year of relevant experience as a minimum. Individuals have basic knowledge of tasks associated with the technical area of work with skills in the application of mathematical functions, the use of PC software and hands-on craft abilities. Individuals are able to read schematics, drawings, sketches and technical instructions of testing protocols primarily in mechanical and materials engineering and have built a program or direct multiple program activities in a wide technical field. Technical areas of expertise include engineering dynamics, materials engineering, mechanical and fluids engineering, structural engineering, and electromagnetic compatibility engineering to improve the safety, reliability, efficiency and life of new or existing mechanical components, structures, and systems.